Friday, October 29, 2010

Edgar Allan Poe "The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings"


"The Tell-Tale Heart", "The Black Cat", and "The Cask of Amontillado" are all by Edgar Allan Poe. "The Tell-Tale Heart " is mainly a suspense/horror. It is about a man who thinks he is not crazy. In the story it he proves himself wrong. He stalked his neighbor looking for the time to strike because he hated his neighbors eyes. He says "he had the eye of a volture- a pale blue with a film over it." This book was good at showing the rage and the insanite of the crazy man. I really enjoyed this story because it had a clever twist to the ending. In most of Edgar Allan Poe's stories they are slow at the begining but get really intense at the end. It doesn't really matter that it has a slow begining because the stories are pretty short. "The Black Cat" is about an alcoholic man. It is about the foolish things he has done when he was drunk and in rage. It is a story about how he tortured then killed his black cat and how his life was miserable after that. I thought that this story had many cases of irony. I think the strengths of this book are that it shows the horror in his life and the ironic moments. "The Cask of Amontillado" is about a man named Montresor who had vowed revenge. The story does not give detail about what happened to Montresor. The part that I thought was this stories strengths were the settings. Edgar Allan Poe does a great job of giving specific details in the settings.

3 comments:

  1. these stories sound great and suspenseful. It makes me want to read the books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have already read the three short stories that you mentioned here, but I am interested in others. Even thought I get scared easily, I like these stories and get very into them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read this story and it was really well written
    Go POE

    ReplyDelete