Friday, October 29, 2010

Looking For Alaska By John Green


After leaving his home in Florida, Miles “Pudge” Halter attends Culver Creek Boarding School. There he finds a video-game loving math genius by the name of Chip “The Colonel” Martin, who ends up being his roommate. The Colonel’s partner in crime is the witty and smart Alaska Young. Alaska, Pudge, and the Colonel find themselves battling a group of rich kids who can afford to go home every weekend, who they call Weekday Warriors. In the process, Alaska captures Pudge’s heart through reading Kurt Vonnegut’s novel, Cat’s Cradle,, however, Pudge is frustrated with the fact that Alaska has a boyfriend and she has a tendency to get really moody for no reason. “She’s talked to me about hermmom just that morning. How could a girl who told that joke three hours ago before becoming a sobbing mess?”(95). One night, just as Pudge thinks everything is working out with him and Alaska, Pudge makes a mistake that he regrets and has to learn to live with.

I think this was a great book. It makes you think about the more important aspects of life. Pudge is the average, awkward teenage boy that many teens can relate to, and he learns valuable life lessons. I like how the book counts down the days to an unknown, and then when the countdown is over I wondered what has happened, and was shocked to find out what happened. I think teenagers will like reading this book if they like books that aren’t full of adventure, but still entertaining.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great book and a real page turner! You have told me some about it but after reading this it sounds like something i really want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this sounds puzzling and amazing. So these kids are video game lovers who just want to play games? It sounds like their might be a lot of adventure and action. It sounds like a fantastic book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my favorite book! It's so great, I couldn't put it down when I started reading it

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks pretty cool. It seems so realistic with the kids liking video games and stuff. Although I do question her name being Alaska....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the characters sound realistic. I think I might get the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like an interesting plot. It sounds like a great novel, and I admire that the setting and events in this story does not have to be filled with complicated, quest-filled adventures to be entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a good book. The plot seems really interest. I’d like to read this book sometime.

    ReplyDelete